Friday, October 2, 2020

DAY 10 NO WORK

 As well as other things, today I participated in an art class put on by the library and local nonprofit.  It is getting closer to the Day of the Dead so a lot of Latinx stuff going on.  We made a Mola de Panama.  A mola is a hand-made textile that forms part of the traditional women's clothing of the Kuna people from Panama, Central America.  Molas are hand-made using a reverse appliqué technique. Several layers (usually two to seven) of different-colored cloth (usually cotton) are sewn together; the design is then formed by cutting away parts of each layer. The edges of the layers are then turned under and sewn down. Often, the stitches are nearly invisible. This is achieved by using a thread the same color as the layer being sewn, sewing blind stitches, and sewing tiny stitches. The finest molas have extremely fine stitching, made using tiny needles. 

The teacher of the class had us make a mola with construction paper, scissors, and glue stick.  A little low tech.  It was fun to make another different piece of art that I never heard of before.  Here is my creation:

The teacher's mola had a butterfly but I am not great at drawing butterflies so I went with a flower instead.  I made the suns like she had.  I am pretty happy with what I made.  It still looks like my art is from a 13 year old.  This kind of art is not where I excel. I excel in other types of art.  But as I get older I learned to not care what other people think and go, learn how to do it and do it anyway.  Do it my way.  I had fun and that is all that matters.  I am proud of my attempts at art.

Until tomorrow...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!