Friday, July 2, 2021

DAY ONE HUNDRED FIFTY-TWO OF COOKING COURSE

 Christmas Apple Pie!  I did call it 4th of July Weekend Apple Pie.  But the course called it Christmas.  It was SO good.  It had a pie crust that was just like I like it.  Super thin crust with no ends.  I don't like thick pie crust ends.  It was also not dry as some pie crusts can be.  It was mostly insides.  It was made with a tart ring so there were no "crusts".  It was basically just the structure and then fillings.  Inside was a cream made from vanilla pastry cream and marzipan so it was sweet.  Then on top were apples that had been steeped in a syrup made from cardamom, cinnamon, star anise, rum, cloves, and raisins.  The apples tasted so delicious.  I can't wait to eat more of it.  I have some leftover dough, cream and apples so I may make some tarts.


It was a busy day and an overcast one so I decided to stay inside and walk my mile on the treadmill.  I got some unexpected phone calls today.

I am still learning how to use my electricity to my advantage with the solar.  I know I need to use my big appliances before 4pm to get the best rate.  This has so far been a challenge for me since in the past I have been used to doing things later in the day.  Running the dishwasher is easy because I can do that really late.  But laundry is the biggest challenge for me.  Laundry needs a good 2.5 - 3 hours to clean sheets and towels.  That means I have to start them early in the day and remember to move them from the washer to the dryer at the appropriate time.  This may sound easy but my washer and dryer are in the garage and I can't hear the buzzer when the washer is done.  I have taken to setting my alarm on my phone.  Because if I don't move the wash to the dryer in time, I run out of time to do the next load of laundry before it is 4pm and I am into the "high cost" zone.  I never thought about this before.  Now I have to.  It reminds me of the olden days of cellphone usage before unlimited plans when you had to be careful not to go over your minutes.  You only went over your minutes once when you saw how much it cost you!  I had a family member get charges from a foreign country and I am sure that person will not do that again!  Anyway, I am re-learning how to use electricity.  It is a very good exercise.  

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!