Saturday, March 7, 2020

SHIP MUSEUM

I went on another road trip today.  I was undecided on whether I should go or not with the coronavirus situation.  I was going to an area that has more cases than where I live.  But in the end I decided to go and not go to a busy area.

I picked up my foster kid and we went to a ship museum.  It was really cool.  There were cannons and bells and model ships.  There was a submarine control room you could go into.  Then we went to see a real ship from World War II.  We lucked out that two men who worked on that ship were visiting the ship.  We got to speak to them and their wives.  We walked around the ship and saw the galley and the sleeping quarters.  There were bunks that had 4 layers of beds.  I don't think I could sleep with three people above me on a ship that was moving in a storm.  Just thinking about it gives me shivers.  The galley was so small I could not believe they fed 64 men and 12 officers in that room.  I never did figure out where the men ate their food. I saw the officer dining room but no other dining area.  It was very interesting to visit and hear the stories from the actual military men.

Women's Month person: Sojourner Truth, born Isabella [Belle] Baumfree, was an American abolitionist and women's rights activist. Truth was born into slavery but escaped with her infant daughter to freedom in 1826. After going to court to recover her son in 1828, she became the first black woman to win such a case against a white man.

 Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!