Friday, May 13, 2022

STRESS REDUCTION

I am working on reducing stress. I met with my doctor today and he spoke with me about ways to reduce stress. He wants me to do one week of deep breathing 10 times once a day. I am adding this to my guided meditations. I am also going to practice 5-4-3-2-1. If you have never heard of it it is: name 5 things you see around you, name 4 things you can touch around you, name 3 things you can hear around you, name 2 things you can smell around you and (the last one I have heard two ways) name 1 thing you can taste around you OR name 1 thing positive about yourself. This is a grounding technique if you are stressed or anxious or even upset. It takes the focus off what is upsetting and gives you time to calm down and breathe. 

I got so anxious at the doctor's office that I almost had an panic attack.  I was nearly there. I haven't had a panic attack since I was in college. It isn't COVID, it is prolonged pain and not knowing what is causing it. Mixed with having all my pleasurable activities taken away: cooking, baking, exercising, going outside to see neighbors, and eating. The feeling like the pain will not end and I will not get to participate in these activities again sent me over a ledge. 

Getting answers has helped a lot. I feel like there is an end to the tunnel. I feel like people take me and take my pain seriously. There is no miracle cure that will make me better immediately but I will eventually be better. 

I have plans to bake this weekend. Maybe cupcakes!?!

I made vegan fried rice tonight. It had tofu, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, and green beans. It was so good. 
Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. 5,4,3,2,1 sounds like a wonderful way to practice mindfulness.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!