Tuesday, September 21, 2021

DAY ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY-NINE OF COOKING COURSE

 Today was a big day of baking.  I finally made the Baba Napoletano that I was going to bake on Saturday but realized I was missing an ingredient. Now that I have the ingredient, today was the day.  Baba Napoletano is small little balls of pastry that are infused with a fruity, spicy sauce made with rum.  The Baba pastry has a long history that dates back to an exiled Polish king.  

The Baba au Rhum (baba in rum), which I made a few months ago, originated in the region of Lorraine in France in the 18th century. But it is not the French who invented this sweet cake, but the exiled Polish king Stanislaus I who resided in Lorraine.  The story goes that the baba au rhum may have been an adaptation of the traditional Polish and German Kugelhupf cake. Stanislaus' daughter Marie married French King Louis XV and her father's patissier came with her to the royal French court. He baked the baba au rhum for the court and for the French people when he opened a patisserie in Paris.

The Baba then went to the South of Italy when the French chefs cooked for families in Naples. That is where the Baba changed to the Baba Napoletano and being soaked in the fruity and alcohol sauce.

My Baba Napoletano taste amazing.  They are soft and soaked in the sauce.  I am happy with the way they turned out.  I plated them with some of the passion fruit ganache that I had leftover. 


This second picture shows how I soaked the babas.  

Lucky and I took a walk today. It was very sunny and quite hot so we didn't go far. 

I had a networking meeting and a foster meeting today.  Busy day.

Until tomorrow...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!