Tuesday, December 8, 2020

DAY EIGHTEEN COOKING COURSE

 Today was Pasta Day!  Yesterday I made the pasta dough and put it in the refrigerator.  Today I took it out and rolled it out to make two different types of pasta.  This pasta is different than the pasta you would buy in the store.  It is made with semolina flour, water, salt and olive oil.  There is no egg so it is a little denser.  The chef says it is common in the South of Italy.  

I rolled out the first batch to make Orecchiette Pasta.  They look like little ears.  I made enough to eat one meal and freeze some for another meal or two. 

I ate mine with Pesto Alla Trapanese the pesto I made last week with the nuts and sun dried tomatoes.

It was really good.  The pasta takes a little getting used to since it is a little different texture than I am used to and I probably made some of the orecchiette a bit too thick.  It is an art to make those ears.

After making a batch of orecchiette, I took a break and then I started on the Pici pasta.  Pici Pasta is long noodle pasta.  Once again mine are probably a bit thick but my hands were getting tired.  I rolled a lot of pasta.  I froze the whole batch for another evenings dinner.

It was a fun but exhausting day of pasta.  I am not sure how often I will make pasta by hand.  Maybe I will try it again to see if I can do it better.  It is a lot of work for little output for one person.  But then I think about how much better it is for me to make it from scratch.

Thursday or Friday will be Pizza day!  Everyone loves pizza.  

Let's see how my hands feel tomorrow.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!