Monday, December 21, 2020

COOKING HISTORY

 When I was a kid I could not cook.  It was a running joke in my family that I was really good at making reservations.  In college I shorted out my whole dormitory with a hot pot.  I really was a mess at cooking.  I had a mother, step-mother and brother who were all really good at cooking and I was shooed out of the kitchen.  I was given the chores like setting the table and washing the dishes and filling the dishwasher and I was happy with those chores.  Happy is a bit of an exaggeration but I was happy I was not in the kitchen cooking.  

Then I became a vegetarian and if I wanted to eat, I had to  cook for myself.  I learned how to cook many different ways to cook tofu and other vegetarian dishes.  I made dishes that made people forget they didn't have meat.  

 I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and I had to learn to cook healthier.  By healthier I mean more balanced meals and meals with nutrition.  Not all vegetarians eat well.  There is a lot of vegetarian "fast food" out there and I was eating a lot of it.  So I learned how to cook real food with the help of a nutritionist.

Then I became vegan.  I needed to learn to cook all over again.  Cooking became more serious for me.  Since vegans do not eat anything live or anything that comes from anything live, it limits what I can eat.  I also do not eat onions and garlic.  I cook many different dishes with soups being my favorite.  I like to bake but eating sweets puts the pounds on.  I found I was eating the same types of dishes over and over again.  That is why I wanted to do this cooking course.  I wanted to learn how to cook international dishes and things that I would never make otherwise.  I would never make panna cotta if I was not in this course.   I needed this course to stretch myself to cook and bake things out of my comfort zone.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!