Monday, July 9, 2012

JUST A FUN BLOGGER CHALLENGE - DAY 9

Favorite book and why?

I have a favorite book!  I am sitting here on hold waiting for a government agency to pick up "all representatives are busy, please continue to hold and the next representative will assist you." I have now heard that about 20 times, oh, make that 21 times.  And it keeps ringing making me think someone is going to pick up and then that stupid recording comes on.  Ergh....

My favorite book is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry.  This is a wonderful book about four people thrown together during the Emergency in India.  The book exposes the changes in Indian society from independence in 1947 to the Emergency called by Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.  It kept my attention through out the entire book.

My second favorite book is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.   The book NOT the movie.  The movie was okay but the book was SO much better.  It is the story of Jacob Jankowski's life.  He was a young man who joined the circus and fell in love.  The story is told through the eyes of Jacob in his twilight years.  It is a  sometimes brutal story that takes your heart.  I mean, who didn't want to join the circus? 

When I was a kid we used to go to Florida for vacation because my grandparents lived in Sarasota.  One of the places we visited was the Ringling Brother's & Barnum Bailey Circus training grounds in Venice Florida.  They had a small amphitheater and they asked for volunteers.  I was about 7 years old and I was chosen.  I was brought down into the ring and I can't remember what I had to do but I was given a special "gold" coin that was really big and said Ringling Brothers & Barnum Bailey Circus on it. It was all very exciting! I may still have that coin!

What is your favorite book?  Do you have one?  Are there readers out there?


Tomorrow's Challenge: Mountain, beach, desert, or plains? Which is your favorite?

Medical Update: still doing my physical therapy exercises for my ankle.  20 lifts a day.  Finger feels better.  Fevers still going on.


Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I love to read.Never without my kindle now.Especially at night when I can't sleep because of pain.
    I am not sure what my favourite book is but I remember when I was smal,my Dad was an avid reader and I loved looking through the glass in his bookcases at the books. The first book I was allowed to read from there was Shane by Jack Schaefer. So that has special memories.
    Hugs
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know these books. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!