Friday, February 18, 2022

STONE SOUP

I made Stone Soup today. A few years ago, I heard about something called Stone Soup. The folkstory goes that a traveler arrived at a town with nothing and he was hungry. He asked around for some food and no one would give him any because they said they had none to share. The traveler took a pot and added water and a stone and placed it over a fire and called it stone soup. He then told the people he would share it but it would be better with a garnish. So each of the villagers brought an item to add to the stone soup. There were potatoes, onions, cabbages, corn, peas, etc. added. When the soup was cooked, the stone was removed and the soup was eaten by the villagers and the traveler. This is a story about sharing what you have. I hear it also has the name nail soup, button soup, axe soup and wood soup. My stone soup included: butternut squash, chard, peas, leek, pasta and carrots.

 Lucky is limping. I am not sure what is wrong with her. I called late today over to the veterinarian's office to see if there were any cancellations since it is a holiday weekend and I got an appointment for 8:30 tomorrow. I took some video of her limping. Okay, she has limped as long as I have had her when she is nervous and when she walks fast. I got her checked out and they said there was nothing wrong with her. Today the limping is different. It is more of a skip. I know little dogs have knee problems and hip problems so I want to get it checked out right away. 

My sister-in-laws dog had to have some sort of knee surgery. I am pretty sure.

I also noticed that midweek she started seeming not lethargic but less active. Monday (or last Friday) the dog walker said she was having problems keeping up with the group but that was when she was having tummy issues so I thought it was just because of that. Now I am worried something else is going on. Tummy issues, slow one day, less active, and now limping/skipping. Other than that she is her old self. 

We did go on two walks today. The first walk I didn't notice the limp but the second (shorter) walk I noticed it. 

 I called the dog food place where I got the replacement dog food and they were very nice and gave me my money back for the dog food. I am torn on whether to keep the dog food, just in case, or donate it to my vet's office. I am worried I could get caught again with no food and have to use it. But I also know there are people struggling right now to buy dog food. 

I bought Lucky a new water bowl that doesn't drip. I moved her water bowl (that has been in the same place for a long time) and noticed for the first time that it is leaving a mark on the floor from the water she spills when she drinks. The new bowl guarantees your dog doesn't drip, dribble or spill water when they drink. I also got her a mat for her food bowl. Lucky is so weird that she takes pieces of her food out of the bowl and puts them on the floor. I can't figure it out but I hear other dogs do this too. The mat will keep the floor clean because I am tired of having to clean the floor every day.

 Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. The soup looks wonderful. I have some chickpeas, should i bring them over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can make a stone soup in your own area and ask your neighbors to bring ingredients! sounds fun.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!