Monday, April 22, 2019

PASSWORD PROTECTIONS ON TV

I am at that place where I have to put passwords on TV.  I had to with my previous foster kid but with him it was easier because he was young so I just put on all the kid friendly stuff and called it a day. 

With this foster kid it is more complicated.  Mostly it is more complicated because he is on the cusp of one age group and another.  I don't want the kid to see older more adult stuff without me viewing it and knowing he is seeing it but at the same time, he is too old for the younger kid stuff.  Netflix has a weird setting system.  They go from small kid-viewing to viewing the Ellen stand up show in one jump.  I wish there was a middle ground.  Somewhere between Trolls and Ellen talking about getting a mud bath.  

So I put the parental controls on all the channels.  I did the lockdown.  You can't watch Game of Thrones at my house without a password.  Horrible Bosses, need a password.  Want to add a channel to the Roku?  Need a password.  The kid is not happy and I try to explain it is for his safety but kids never see it that way. 

Listen, I wish someone had put child safety locks on the TV in San Diego when I was a kid and we stayed at a hotel with our cousin and my godmother.  My cousin thought it would be cool to show us HBO (it was a new thing on the west coast).  She put it on and right then was the movie The Exorcist.  It was the part when The Exorcist vomits and the head spins around.  To this day I can't get that vision out of my head.  I was mesmerized and terrorized all at the same moment.  Then I screamed for my mom.  Where were the parental locks then?  It could have saved me hours of terror and years of nightmares.  I will probably have one tonight just thinking about this.  Ugh! 

I am just trying to keep the kid safe.  I promise.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!