Tuesday, April 23, 2019

DRIVER

The kid has a driver to get to school and back.  To be my foster kid, he needed to finish school in his old school district.  I told them I didn't have the time to drive him back and forth AND work.  It would have been 4+ hours in the car each day. 

It was a bit of a glitch at the beginning but it got straightened out when they got permission to have the same drivers each way to school.  Everything was going along fine until yesterday.  One of the drivers yesterday called me when he got to my home and said "I have your daughter outside."  The kid thought it was weird that he was called a girl.  He said the driver knows my name and has driven me for days. Each day the app asks for a review and the kid said the driver made a comment about him not giving him a review.  So we gave him a review and in the comments we said it is important to know someone's gender and get it right.   (FYI the app asks it and has a photo and the kids name)

Today when the driver picked him up he asked the kid if he had his seat belt on.  Normal question.  The kid said yes he did.  The driver then got out of the car and came around and opened the door and checked to see if he had the seat belt on.  The kid said he felt very uncomfortable when the guy did that.  He said why didn't the guy believe him when he said yes he had the seat belt on or if he did not, why didn't he ask him to put it on again?

The kid came home and told me.  We decided to call the company and request a new driver.  The kid said he felt uncomfortable with the interaction.  The company said some people who English is not their first language can get confused with names.  Okay, I can understand that but if you look at the kid, it is obvious he is a boy.  Also if he is confused, don't use a pronoun.  "I have your child in the car out front." 

I hope they give this driver some training.  We will get another driver tomorrow and will go back to a new driver every day until they find another permanent driver.  We just feel better with that option.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!