Sunday, April 7, 2013

DOING A TASK YOU DON'T WANT TO DO

I have this task I have to do each month. Well, if I did it each day, it would be easier to do at the end of each month. I have to keep track of my time so I can invoice my clients. On a bad month I don't keep track and have to recreate the month at a later date. On a good month I keep track pretty well and don't have much to do at the end of the month.

I have tried many different ways to keep track of my time. I have tried a paper format with 15 minute increments that I write in what I have done and for how long. I have paid for a computer program (that also works on my phone) that allows me to start a timer for each task and keeps track in the program. Or I can physically put in the time I spent on each task. Of course I kept forgetting to turn off the timer and hours later I would get a notice that the timer has been running for 20 hours did I forget to turn it off?? None of these seem to work for me because I forget to write down my time or I get lazy and think I will do it the next day.

Usually I am really disciplined but this one thing is such a block for me. I think part of it is that once I get behind, it is SO hard to get caught up that I just bag it until the end of the month. Then it takes me a whole day to recreate it all.

I also cheat myself when I don't keep track of my time each day. There is no way I can remember all the tasks I do, the phone calls I take and make and the stuff I work on. So a portion of my time goes unaccounted for and I don't get paid for it.

Now you would think that making more money would be an incentive for me! Yeah. It is but not enough for me to want to do this task. Each month I swear I am going to do better and keep track of my time each day. I start out some months so good. I keep track of the first week or so and then something happens and I fall off the wagon. You would think that spending a whole day doing billing would deter me from not keeping track. But no.

If anyone has any ideas on how to do something you don't want to do, please let me know. I would love to hear your ideas.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!