Sunday, June 28, 2020

DAY 107 HAPPY PRIDE!

Day 107 since I left the house.

I woke up and decided to start watching the last two Gay/Lesbian movies from the film festival.  I had my day all planned out.  Movie in the morning, catch W. Kamau Bell speaking virtually at Pride, Book Club first time, movie number 2. Sounds like a full Pride day.  Best laid plans, don't they say?!

The first set of movies was called Boys in Shorts (or something like that) and it is a bunch of shorts like the movies I saw yesterday.  I will tell you what I think without telling you about them:
  • Matt and Dan Pics? - it was about texting and I thought it was the funniest of all the shorts.
  • When in Rome - was short and I can't say anything without giving it away but it was too funny.
  • Go Go Boy! - about a boy wanting to dance. It was cute.
  • Pete Can't Play Basketball - I think the title says it all.  It was cute and made more sense after I saw the Q&A section after the movie.
  • About A Short Film - this was so odd I am not sure if I liked it or not.
  • Blow Job - it is not what you are thinking (get your mind out of the gutter) and the shortest short in this film festival history.
  • Island Queen - It stars two famous people (Jesse Tyler Ferguson from Modern Family and Rachel Dratch from SNL) and is okay.  It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be considering who is in it.
  • The Dick Appointment - First the sound quality was bad and I couldn't hear all the dialogue with my volume all the way up.  It is about Grinder in a good way.  I thought it was sweet.
  • Short Calf Muscle - It was interesting considering the current climate with BLM.  I thought it was good.
  • The Shawl - I thought it was good but Stevie Nicks is a weird thing to do a short like this about.
Those were the shorts in the first movie.  Then my friend S called and we caught up since she moved 3 hours from her previous home and got a new job that she loves. 

I turned on to see W. Kamau Bell from CNN talk at Virtual Pride.  He has a show United Shades of America on CNN.  He lives in Oakland and he is seen all over Northern California.  I have never seen him but others have.

Then I tried to log onto the Book Club.  It is an existing book club but I thought I would check it out.  The zoom said 3pm.  It was at 2pm.  The zoom was wrong. Whoever booked the zoom put in the wrong time.  That was a bust.  So I decided to watch the second movie.  I clicked on the link and bamm it didn't work.  It said I was too late.  I thought I had until 7pm.  I sent an email and minutes later I got an email back stating there was a problem and I did have until 11:30 pm. 

So I started watching the movie Summerland.  It was really good.  I expect to see it in the movie theaters (if we ever get back into movie theaters) [Let me take this time to remind folks to wear a mask when you leave your house if you are not.  Stand at least 6 feet apart.  This was a public service announcement.]  It was that good.  It was about Britain during World War II when the kids were sent out of London to the countryside to protect them from the bombing.  This boy is sent out to the country to live with a woman who doesn't want a child in her home.  The story is SO much more than that.  I thought it would be slow and I would hate it (in all honesty I didn't have to pay for it and I got it for free so I thought why not watch it) but it was exactly the opposite!  It moved along quickly and it kept my attention all the way through.  There is a quick cameo by Penelope Wilton who starred in the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  Also Tom Courtenay who starred in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society had a supporting role.  I loved this movie!

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!