Monday, July 13, 2020

DAY 122 MY TREADMILL ARRIVED

Day 122 since I left the house.

My treadmill arrived bright and early this morning.  Fed Ex dropped it on the sidewalk and took off.  No signing or how do you do.  Just plopped it on the sidewalk and left. 

I masked and gloved up and ran downstairs to make sure it was not leaning on the garage and then ran back inside to open the garage door.  I then leaned it on it's side (not to easily since it weighs probably over 200 pounds) and pushed it to my exercise area.  Luckily it is easy to push cardboard on cement.  I did have my hand truck handy but didn't need it. 

Once I got it to the exercise area, I opened the box and pulled out all the packing and such and found the directions such as they were.   The first direction was to lift the treadmill out of  the box with two people.  Well, that was not going to happen.  I had to assemble the treadmill on the box bottom since it was too heavy to lift.

The directions said to have this mysterious "other person" hold the top part of the treadmill up while putting in the bottom screws.  I had to improvise. As you can see I used a heavy box and a storage container with a heavy box inside to hold the top of the treadmill standing in place.
Then the directions were incomplete and did not tell me that certain bolts needed nuts until after I had put on another part.  Parts were put on and taken off.  Parts were tightened, un-tightened, re-tightened.  Parts were moved and adjusted and readjusted.  It reminded me of putting up a Christmas tree by myself.  I can do it but it takes lots of adjusting and re-doing to get it right. 

It took me about an hour but I got it put together. But then I needed to find electricity to plug it in.  I knew there was an outlet in a certain area but I really wanted the treadmill in another area so I looked and looked but I could not find another outlet.  I remember during my construction the contractors telling me there were outlets in new construction every X number of feet.  I have a house from the 1920s so I am lucky to have electrical outlets in a room!  I have one room that has one electrical outlet and it is not a bathroom!  But this part of the house is new construction and I think there is another outlet somewhere, I just have to find it.  Meantime, I have the treadmill in a place I don't really want it to be because it is in a walkway and not quite in my exercise area.  I do have a lot of work to do in the garage to get it cleared out and organized.

Once I found the outlet, I turned it on and it ran!  These days you don't always expect things to work when you buy them, do you?  I am always skeptical when I make purchases.  I hear all about people having things not work or having to return them.  I was so happy when it turned on and it worked.  I just ran it for a second because at this point I had worked up quite a sweat.  It was a workout just getting this thing in the house, putting it together and plugged in.  I was exhausted and sweaty.  I wanted to sit down and drink some water. 

I received some other deliveries today but I will write about them tomorrow.  I am done for today!

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!