Thursday, January 17, 2013

HOW WE ARE BROUGHT UP

I was thinking this morning that what our parents lived through makes a mark on how we are brought up. Not always but sometimes.

Suppose your parents were brought up just post depression such as mine. That might make them parents who are very savings conscience, sales rack shoppers and coupon clippers.

But then suppose your parents were brought up by a single, two job working mom in the South in the 1920s. That might make your parent want to give you the things and opportunities they didn't get when they were a child.

I wonder what kind of parent I would be. It is easy to think I would be a certain type of parent but I know that if I had a child the reality might be quite different. I think I would be a parent who would not give her child lots of expensive things like cellphones, iPads, etc. at a young age. I would want to give my kids opportunities but not to push them. I would teach them about saving money when they were old enough. Any money they were given, a portion would go into savings. They would have chores to do to get an allowance.

This was just me pondering about parenthood. I guess I should not have watched the show Parenthood before I went to sleep!

Hot Tub Update: another $500 and it will be fixed. Hopefully it won't take too long to order the parts.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!