Monday, July 29, 2019

SECRETS

My whole adult life has been about keeping secrets.  Almost all my jobs since graduating college have been centered around being able to keep things confidential.  When I mean confidential I don't mean the simple "Hey, can you keep a secret?  June is dating Ken."  Because of my positions I have to keep company secrets, staff secrets, and personal secrets.  I have so many secrets floating around in my head it is a miracle there is room for anything else.  I guess maybe that is why I am always forgetting things, I have no more room for anymore information. 

It is interesting being the one to keep all the secrets.  For one, I am always under suspicion.  Certain people always think I must be telling these secrets to someone else.  I file those people away as the folks who project what they would do onto me.  They are horrible secret keepers so they assume I must be too.  I don't tell people the secrets, they just get filed in my brain.

Then there are the folks who are always trying to get me to spill the secrets.  They think that if they keep asking me, I will tell them the confidential information.  I have a trick to deal with these folks.  I play dumb.  Example: "Do you know the baseball score from the game last night?"  My answer "There was a baseball game last night?"  "Of course there was a baseball game, it is the playoffs."  My answer "Really, baseball, I wasn't paying attention."   I call it the What?  Huh?  Baseball??  or XXX???  "No one tells me anything."

Then there is the person who is mad that I know the secret and they don't.  Hey, I wish I didn't know the secret most of the time.  Most secrets are not very good.  If they knew the secret, they probably wouldn't want to know it too.   I just look at them and shrug my shoulders.  Inside I would gladly give it up but it is my job to hold the secret.

Today when I got back from my trip I was told a bunch of secrets and I now I have to hold them in a little file drawer in my brain.  Don't ask me, you won't get an answer except What? Huh?  Secrets???  No one tells me anything!

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!