Saturday, August 31, 2013

ONE FISH, TWO FISH, THREE FISH, MAYBE MORE FISH

Today I decided to carry out my plan of emptying the pond in the backyard. Since we have not seen a fish for at least a month (we think the heron got them), we thought this would be a good time to empty the water and clean off the bottom.

I got into old clothes and got all my supplies. The best thing I bought this year is the second pump. I put the pump in and sat back. I cleaned out the filter so it would be sparkly clean when the new water was put in. Then I saw it. A fish! A white and orange fish.  He poked his little head out from under a cylinder block.  Then another fish!  A white, orange and black one.  It took me about 10 minutes to catch them. They are fast.  I put them in a bucket of water.

When the water was low enough I put on my Wellies and began scooping muck off the bottom. Muck consists of dead things and decomposing leaves, branches, fish food, and other stuff.  I pulled about one quart of muck out of the pond. Hopefully that will help with keeping the pond clean.  Then out of the corner of my eye I see it.  Another fish!  An orange fish! He moved very fast. Too fast for me to catch.  

A few more inches of water came out and then it was time to refill. Gallons and gallons of water later the fish went back in. The water looks clearer but the fish are nowhere to be seen. Hopefully they are happier with their cleaner home. 

Are there three fish, or more? Who knows? At least we know we still have fish in the pond!  

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!