Sunday, April 5, 2020

DID YOU KNOW YOU COULD FREEZE KALE?

What a lazy day!  It was pouring rain and all I wanted to do was curl up on the couch with some hot cocoa and a warm blanket.  Well, that is not what happened.  I had no soymilk to make hot cocoa so cross that off the list.  But I did take a hot bath and curl up on the couch and watch some TV.  Probably too much TV since I ended up only doing a few things on my To Do List.  I did the work I had to get done but not until late in the day.  I spoke to my cousin and my friend.  I scanned some ole photos and put them on a family-only network.  People seemed to enjoy them.

Then I made some awesome soup.  Well, it was more of a stew than a soup.  It was lentil, kale and quinoa stew.  It was really good and I made it before.  I like it because it is easy and takes very few ingredients that you have to prepare.  It is the sort of soup where you throw everything in and let it cook.  Since it has lentils and quinoa it is hearty and full of protein.  Since I used only about 1/3 of the bunch of kale delivered to me, I used a process I saw on facebook.  Earlier today I saw this vegan guy on facebook do this whole presentation of what he ate in a day now that he is sheltering in place.  It was interesting seeing all that he did with what he had.  But the best part was that he showed how to freeze kale without blanching it.  He showed how to freeze greens (hearty greens) without blanching for up to 6 weeks.  Basically you wash the greens, let them dry, then either freeze them whole or cut/break them up at this point.  Then you put them on a sheet pan with paper towel or parchment and put them in the freezer for a few hours until they are frozen.  He called it pre-frozen.  Then you take them out and put them in a freezer bag for long term up to six weeks.  I am excited since I usually can't use a whole kale bunch in a week (the life span of a bunch of kale) and I end up throwing some out.  It is such a waste of perfectly good kale.  Now I will be able to make soup or something next week with the rest of the kale.  Since I froze it with the paper towel between the leaves, it will be easier to pull out a few leaves at a time.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!