Wednesday, May 8, 2013

VEGAN FAUX TUNA FISH SANDWICH

I am not always thrilled with all vegan recipes. Some of them scare me a little. Some of them just don't sound appetizing. I saw this recipe and thought I would try it because the comments were very good.

I was on the Humane Society website looking at goodies for Happi's birthday. Then I stumbled on a recipe for vegan Tuna-free salad sandwich. I know what you are thinking. What am I doing with a recipe from the Humane Society? I get recipes from all over the place.

So, I decided to try it. I got all the ingredients and made a small batch.

Tuna-Free Salad Sandwich
Ingredients:

Serves 6

30 ounces (2 cans) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1/4 cup red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup dill pickle, finely chopped
2 tablespoons nori seaweed flakes
1/2 - 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
12 slices bread, lightly toasted
6 large, crisp lettuce leaves
12 fresh tomato slices

In a large bowl, mash the garbanzo beans with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Fold the onion, celery, garlic, pickle, nori, mayonnaise, salt, and black pepper into the garbanzo beans. Combine thoroughly.

Lightly toast the bread. Spread the salad on one slice and stack with a lettuce leaf, two tomato slices, and another slice of bread. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.

Recipe courtesy of Allison Rivers Samson, owner of Allison's Gourmet and award-winning author of the VegNews column "Veganize It!" (Issue 61).

It turns out the beans when all smashed up have a texture a lot like tuna when you smash it up. Of course it doesn't have that fishy taste. I didn't put the nori seaweed flakes in the mixture because I didn't have any on hand. I also skipped the onions because I can't eat them. I put in extra celery and dill pickle.

In case you were interested, my test subject Brenda liked it. She thought it was good. I made her make her own tuna fish salad so she wouldn't eat my faux tuna. I wanted to have something to eat for lunch for a few days.

I am going to make a surprise for my friend who is coming to visit. I can't wait to see her. I got this recipe and I hope it works out. Can't tell you what it is cause she reads this blog!

Before I sign off, what a crazy week! Jodi Arias found guilty. The three girls found alive in Cleveland. The news has been so wild lately.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!