Sunday, May 19, 2013

RUN IN WITH THE LAW

My sister-in-law has a blog and today her post about "getting in trouble for something you didn't do" made me think of something that happened to me a few years ago.  Brenda and I went to Florida to visit my parents and we rented a car so we could come and go as we pleased.  We were driving the car down the main road and I saw in the rear view mirror a police cruiser running the car's tags.  You know the look, he is right behind you and leans over to use the computer in his car.  I say to Brenda, the cop is running the tags.  She says you aren't speeding, don't be silly.

Sure enough, the lights come on and then the siren.  I come to a place to pull over and he comes up to the window.  License and registration.  I give him my license and the rental agreement.  (Interesting Factoid: in Florida the rental cars have no indication that they are rental cars.  I was told that back a number of years ago there was a murder spree where the murderer targeted rental cars because he knew the people were from out-of-state.  So the state passed a law that rental cars can no longer indicate they are rental cars.)  The cop ran the information and came back and told me that the registration of the car didn't match the VIN number.  He said he wouldn't ticket me because it was a rental car but if I didn't get it fixed, I would continue to get pulled over throughout our vacation.

I called the rental car company and they said it was common to switch the registrations on the cars and the paperwork had not gone through to the state DMV yet.  Wonderful!  I could come down and switch cars but I would have to drive back and switch the cars, they would not bring me one.  I gave them a hard time and they threw in a 1/4 tank of gas for my trouble.  I did go switch cars because the next cop may not be so nice.

That was one of the few times I got in trouble for something I didn't do.  Usually it is the other way around!  

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!