Friday, November 25, 2011

Never Have I Ever (#NHBPM Day 25)


Today has not been a good health day.  I have massive joint pain in some crazy joints.  The joints by the balls in my feet, my hips, my knuckles and my wrists.  ugh...  Nothing to do but stay off my feet.  So no Black Friday Shopping for me!  Okay you caught me, I did some internet shopping for myself.

Photo by Salvatore Vuono
Today's assignment is to write about something I have never done but want to.  The list of things I have never done but want to is long.  I want to learn how to ride a motorcycle, go on a zipline through a forest, go parasailing, go the Galapagos, take a cruise to Alaska, travel to see my friend in Australia, see the pyramids, go to Africa and go on a safari, and drive across the USA again on the northern route.  It seems a lot of my list is travel.  Since I have gotten sick the thought of travel gets more and more out of reach.  I know I can do it but it gets harder and more difficult.  The last time I traveled with my Enbrel I had a problem keeping it cold because we were in a really hot climate.  I almost ruined $700 worth of medicine by letting it get too hot.  It gets to be a pain that I have to bring extra medicine in the bottles on vacation and I have to bring it on the plane with me.  That takes half my carry on bag!  And most of the medicine I will never use but have to bring "just in case". 

There are roadblocks keeping me from doing all these activities.   I worry that we would make plans to go on a big trip and then I would have a day like today.  I literally can't walk without massive pain.  I guess I could get a wheelchair at the airport and that would help.  I can only drive so many hours in one day so driving across country would be a long trip.  Last time I drove across country, I drove all day for 8-10 hours.  I can't do that anymore.  I could drive eight hours one day but not day after day.  It would have to be a much more leisurely trip.  I worry about taking a cruise because I have heard of so many people getting ill on those ships.  I would be so unhappy if I got sick on a cruise and not be able to contact my doctor. 

So, I guess for now I will dream of doing these activities and hope that some day soon I will be able to do them.  I will keep my fingers crossed that that day will come soon.  Meanwhile I will concentrate on the activities I can do.  Walking my dogs (okay, not today!), scrapbooking, taking pictures, reading, watching movies, cooking, finding good recipes, and blogging!  Those activities are keeping me busy.

What have you never done but want to?  Is it bungee jumping?  Hang gliding?  Flying a plane?  Write and tell me.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

2 comments:

  1. I want to travel to Finland via Denmark, take a train along the length of Finland into Lapland and Norway and back down to Sweden and Denmark again. I want to do this in winter so I can stop in different places to telemark ski.

    I'd also like to go along on a research trip aboard a ship to Antarctica. I want to see the beautiful icebergs--oh, the colors!

    And like you, I'd like to take a cruise to Alaska, but I'm not sure how much I'd like being on a cruise ship... I'm afraid I'd gain 20 lbs before the cruise ended!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!