Thursday, November 17, 2011

Let It Be (#NHBPM Day 17)


Our challenge today is to "Let it Be" and write about something that bothers me or weighs on me.  Well this is going to be a challenge for me.  Trying to think of something that weighs on me or bothers me that is interesting enough to write about.  There are so many things that interest me: the Occupy Movement, cost of healthcare, the fact that my Ipod Nano has been recalled, Regis Philbin leaving LIVE! tomorrow, Penn State's situation, the Citadel's situation, Herman Cain and all these sexual harassment claims, and why some company shaped tofu into the shape of a turkey-breast and called it Tofurky.  

I think I have chosen Tofurky to write about.  Now I started eating the actual brand Tofurky very recently.  I have been a vegetarian for about 30 years.  I have been eating tofu the whole time mostly in Chinese stir fry and that sort of stuff.  It is only in the last 13 years that I have been more adventurous and started cooking tofu various ways at home.  Sesame encrusted tofu, tofu scramble, tofu Parmesan, and other excited tofu recipes.  I thought the idea of Tofurky was disgusting. 

A few months ago Brenda and I went to a Katy Perry concert and there were some vegans handing out pamphlets outside the venue.  One of the pamphlets had vegan food options and one was the Tofurky brand.  It turns out that Tofurky sells lunch "meat" made out of tofu.  We decided to try some of the vegan options on the pamphlet and we loved the Tofurky lunch "meat".  So, I have become a Tofurky brand convert. But...

Wikipedia
I still can't bring myself to buy a turkey-breast shaped blob of tofu.  Tofurky is "seitan and soy based and was created to have a texture similar to that of meat products; the vegetable-based turkey-like flavorings are intended to make it comparable to traditional Thanksgiving fare. In order to make the product as similar to flesh as they intended, its creators designed the roast so that it tears off at a forty-five degree angle with the grain" from Wikipedia.  Tofurky has a whole line of holiday meals: Tofurky Roast, Tofurky Feast, and Tofurky Giblet and Gravy. 

Maybe I will try it like I tried the Tofurky lunch "meat" some day in the future.  But this will be hard.  I don't like things that are fake and shaped like the real thing.  I think this Thanksgiving, like other Thanksgivings, I will stick to making a stuffed acorn squash, stuffing (or dressing), vegetables, mashed potatoes, salad and some other vegetable.  No Tofurky in our house!

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!