Thursday, November 24, 2011

My Mascot! (#NHBPM Day 24)


Happy Thanksgiving!!  We had a lovely time with our friends.  We had three men over to eat great food and have interesting conversation.  Brenda made Cornish hens and I had a super great acorn squash with wild rice stuffing.  Yum!  I made mashed potatoes for the first time solo.  They turned out great!  I also made my famous stuffing and green beans.  One of the guys brought two pies.  I can't wait to eat left overs tomorrow.

Our scheduled topic is to give myself or my condition a mascot.  (Boy, I can't wait until some of these weird topics are over!)  I chose to give my condition a mascot.  I thought about making my mascot a cute little car with a big smile or a cutie animal or a smiley face.  But none of these spoke to me.  I needed something with a story.

Photo from Edkins Family Index page
My mascot is Ra.  Ra is the patron of the sun, heaven, kingship, power, light.  The meaning of Ra's name is uncertain, but it is thought if not a word for 'sun' it may be a variant of or linked to 'creative'.  In artwork Ra primarily is depicted as a man wearing a pharaoh's crown (a sign of his leadership of the deities) and the wadjet sun disk above his head. Often he had a falcon's head crowned with a sun disk or a man with a falcon's head.

From The Edkins Family Index Page "Ra was the greatest of the gods and he kept his power in his secret name, which only he knew. He had started to grow old, and sometimes he dribbled. Isis collected some of his saliva and made it into a snake. She hid the snake where Ra would walk. When Ra trod on it, it bit him, and Ra screamed in pain. All the gods gathered round, but none could heal him. Isis said "If you tell me your secret name, this will give me enough magic power to heal you." Ra didn't want to do this, but eventually the pain was so bad that he had to. Isis healed him, and ever since then she has the magic powers that Ra had."

I chose this as my mascot because Ra reminds me of the warm pain I feel in my hands and feet in the morning when I have a flare.  The story above speaks about Ra stepping on a snake and feeling the pain in his feet.  He is in pain and all the gods could not heal him.  Isis had the magic potion to heal him but only if he gave up his magic powers.  This reminds me of my story: I have pain in my joints, the doctors try but can not heal me.  The pharmaceutical companies can heal me with their magic potions but the insurance companies stand in the way. I have to give up my magic powers (i.e. all my money!)  See how we have the same story??  I have a real kinship for Ra.  Not to mention Ra and RA get it?  There you go, my mascot.  A falcon with a sun disk on it's head.

What would be your mascot?

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

2 comments:

  1. You picked a great mascot and the parallels are amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb. This was a hard post. I realize doing this exercise that I am not a very creative person when I am forced!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!