Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Best of" Post (#NHBPM Day 19)


Today we are to take one of our archived posts and repost it with comments.  I have chosen to repost Cone of Shame from Sunday, October 23, 2011. It was when my dog Lucky had a spot on her leg and had to wear the cone of shame.  Poor thing had such a hard time.  She fell going UP the stairs and then refused to climb the stairs for the rest of the 13 days she had the cone on.  I had to carry her up all day long!

The Cone of Shame

My poor little dog Lucky had to go to the veterinarian yesterday because she has been licking a spot on her leg.  She licks and licks her "elbow" and won't stop.  Since she has aggression issues, I can't sort of make her stop by any other means than by letting her up on the couch and letting her cuddle (which she isn't supposed to do.)  She isn't supposed to get up on the couch because then she thinks it is Her Couch and growls at our other dog Happi if she comes near it.

Anyway, I have gotten off point.  Poor little Lucky went to vet early Saturday morning and she was already miserable because I can't feed her before going in the car unless I want to see her breakfast all over the seat about four blocks later.  Little Lucky gets carsick.  So she got no breakfast and had to go in the car.  (It is funny, she loves to go in the car; just hates when it moves.  Explain that to me.)  We drove to the vets with her doing this funny little whine/cry at about the half way point. 

Lucky Cone of Shame by Adrienne
When we got there of course she was a perfect angel.  The doctor did things to her that if I did them she would have take a snap at me!  Turns out she has a little bug bite or something that is just annoying her and she keeps licking it.  We have to get her to stop and that requires antibiotics and The Cone of Shame.  She is not happy about the cone.

I brought her home and she just stood in the middle of the kitchen with the cone on.  She didn't move.  It was like she thought the cone would disappear the way it appeared if she just stood there long enough.  Well, it has not.  We went on a walk and she walked five steps then stopped, five steps then stopped.  It took us 40 minutes to go around the block.  She wanted me to carry her but I held strong.  She has to figure this out on her own.  Then she woke up at 2:30 am to cry because she could not get comfortable.  That went on for 30 minutes.  Finally I took her upstairs to put her in her cage and she fought to not be put in.  My heart melted.  I told her she could go back downstairs but no crying.  She ran downstairs (as fast as you can with a cone around your neck!) and got in her bed and that was the end of the crying.  A little tough love.

This morning she climbed the stairs herself and went outside herself.  I was very proud of her.  She seems to have given in to the fact that she will be wearing this for a while.  (really only a few days)  But she seems to have a new attitude about it this morning.

It got me thinking about when I had a flare like last week.  I know I want to cry and curl up in a ball (and wish someone would carry me around and up and down the stairs!) But I know with each flare I make it through, I do feel proud that I made it through yet another battle.  It is not fun to wear a cone or be in a wheelchair or have a foot brace and it sucks to have to give into using assistance devices but when I felt better and did not not have to use them, I felt like I had conquered something.  I know that someday I may have to use some assistance devices all the time but that day is not today.

Update:
Today I had to take Lucky to the vet yet again.  This week she accidentally got into a cup of nut, raisin, M&M mix.  She didn't even chew the stuff, just swallowed it whole.  A day later she began having peanuts in her poop.  Then on Friday morning she vomited up some almonds.  Since I thought she might have more almonds in her system, I took her to get an x-ray and some blood work (for the raisins).  She spent the whole day at the vets.  Everything came out fine but they think she has gastroenteritis.  Poor dog has the worst luck.  We should have named her UnLucky! 

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

1 comment:

  1. Poor you! First you had to carry her up and I assume down the stairs! And now another vet visit for raisins and a mix nut diagnoses. I hope she is feeling better soon. And in the second vet visit, at least you won't have to be carrying her up and down those stairs. Maybe a mussle...no, not really but sounds like she loves to eat everything. My son has a pup called Peanut that got into a bag of bagels once when visiting us. Besides eating our metal blinds, he decided he wanted to share in the bagel feast that we denied him while we were home. Gotta love these four legged fur babies! I know I do!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!