Friday, October 26, 2018

A CLOSE FRIEND

Growing up I had a next door neighbor named Mrs H.  She is significantly older than me and my parents.  She could be my grandmother if she was related.  She has always been very special to me.  I used to climb over the fence to visit her and her husband and father before they both passed away.  She lived alone for many years.  When I was in college we moved away from that neighborhood but I always went to visit her.  She owned her own printing business and when I was little sometimes I would go to her business and she would pay me in business cards if I organized and cleaned out her stockroom.  I had a babysitting business and the business cards helped.

Then I moved away to the West Coast.  I try to remember to call her every couple of weeks and when I go back East I always stop to see her.  I send her presents and gift cards for holidays and birthdays.  A few years ago she sent me a precious gift: a very old Raggedy Ann and Andy book.  She used to read it to me when I was little and when I got older, I used to run away from my house to curl up on her couch and read it to myself. 

This week I got a call that she was transported to an assisted living facility.  She is unable to live alone anymore.  She is 96 and has been deemed unable to care for herself without help.  I am sad and happy at the same time.  I know she needs the care but I know how much she wanted to stay in her home.  I know she will get the care she needs and deserves at this facility. 

I have been sending her cards and when she gets a phone, I will call and see how she is doing. 

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!