Wednesday, July 30, 2014

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Last week I went to see my RA doc and she sent me to get a blood test. The test ran a bunch of different tests: CBC, B12, thyroid, blood glucose, etc.  Friday the doc called to give me the results. The first thing she told me was that my blood glucose level was quite high.  Normal is between 70-99.  I had a 103.  Between 100-124 is pre-diabeties.  Over 125 is diabeties.

In order to officially come to a diagnosis of pre-diabeties, there would be more testing involved.   The doc told me although she is concerned, my levels have never been this high before, in fact my levels are usually around 80.  My doc told me that she would retest me in September and in the meanwhile I should exercise, lose weight and change my eating habits.

That was all I needed to hear. I spent the weekend  researching meal plans for vegans with pre-diabeties.  No problem.  Food-check.

Exercise-I have been riding the stationary bike 10 miles 3-4 times per week. I will step that up.  Exercise-check.

Lose weight. It is Wednesday and I have already lost almost 2 pounds. Losing weight-check.

I got this!

Here is a photo of my dinner.


There is a whole method to eating vegan with diabeties. "They" say it is the best way to bring down  blood glucose levels.  The method is all about exchanges: starch, fruit, milk, vegetable, protein, and fat. Each meal has a certain amount of calories and grams of carbohydrates.  I will eat 60 grams for both breakfast and dinner and 45 grams for lunch. Each of the three snacks have 15-30 grams. To get ready for this new method of eating, I had to make a large trip to the supermarket.  So far the food has been good. Tonight I had one grilled portobello mushroom, 1/2 sweet potato (although I used a yam) that I grilled,  1/2 cup wilted chard, 5 chunks of pineapple in juice (not syrup), 1/2 cup of tofu, and I threw in a few baby tomatoes from a neighbors garden.  Tonight I get 5 Nilla wafers and 1/4 cup grapes for a snack.  For lunch I had a wrap with lettuce, radishes, cabbage, Musturd, and fake chicken. Musturd is a free condiment.  Yippee!

I know this will be a shock for some of you as it was for me. But I am fine. I have figured it out and if it doesn't straighten itself out, well, that is the way it is. As they say, it is what it is.

I rode the stationary bike for 10 miles today on level 3 for 1 hour.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!