Tuesday, September 1, 2015

DAY ONE OF THE HAPPINESS PROJECT

I have been reading this book titled "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  I read the book before and blogged about it back a year ago.  Now that my life has gone through a change, I decided to do my own Happiness Project.

A Happiness Project is when you pick a time frame and choose things you want to work on that will make you happy.  In the book Gretchen takes one year and every month she works on a new topic.  Such as family, spouse, work, home, etc.  Then she makes a grid of topics that she wants to work on. Some of the topics might be Spend more quality time with spouse.  Or Create a work blog.  She also made some rules to live by. 

After a year of pondering I decided I wanted to do a happiness project.  I started on September 1.  My first month is all about Clutter.  Actual clutter, emotional clutter, all sorts of clutter.  My title is: Clear out the funk.  Sub title: “I just need some time in a beautiful place to clear my head.”  

My Categories are: 
  • Clear out closets and garage
  • Clear out emotional clutter
  • Tackle a nagging task
  • Restore, maintain, organize
  • Use my "to do list"
  • Identify the problem and solve it
  • Follow the "1 minute rule"
  • Observe evening tidy up rules
Each day I need to observe as many of these categories as I can.  If I do observe any of them, I get a star in that square.  The point is to get as many stars as I can. 

I am so ready to do this and find my happiness.  I am going to blog about it while I do this project.  Why? you might ask.  I think there is a connection between happiness and health.  Happiness and rheumatoid arthritis.  Happiness and getting up and moving.  Happiness and life.

If I am right, my happiness is going to make me feel better.  I know that just feeling happy is not going to cure my RA.  I just think there is a correlation and I want to see it in action.  Happy patient keeps RA at bay.  Stay tuned.

Until tomorrow... 

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a fabulous thing to do, Adrienne. I'm looking forward to hearing about your unfolding adventures toward happiness. In my own experience, happiness has always started with mindfulness, with noticing myself in the present rather than looking into the past or anticipating--or worrying about--the future. I wonder if the Happiness Project and mindfulness end up in the same place? The HP does seem more action-oriented.

    Wishing you the best of luck as you "clear out the funk," I hope it brings you joy, my friend, and improved health, to boot. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!