Sunday, October 14, 2012

ENBREL

I have to do my Enbrel shot tonight.  Last week when I did my shot I had an oops.  I use the sub-Q needles and not the sure click pre-fill applicator.  There are parts that have to be put together to give myself the shot.  I didn't have the bottle of liquid screwed on all the way to the plunger and the liquid poured out.  I watched $800 worth of liquid pour out.  It was almost funny.  Or sad.  Not sure which.  Tonight I will be more careful although in all the years I have been giving myself shots, this is the first time I had that happen. I once had a needle come undone...

I just saw that Enbrel commercial with Phil Mickelson.  Our family got into a discussion about that commercial last week.  I was telling them how I hate that commercial because it makes it sound like if you take one shot you will be cured and out running a marathon!  I have been taking the shots since they have been on the market and I have not run a marathon yet.  No disco dancing all night long.  In fact, I have gone from wearing high heels to wearing sensible shoes!   This weekend I have a new pain in my hip joint that made walking quite painful so I don't see any disco dancing in my future either!

The discussion became about whether Enbrel worked for Phil Mickelson or not.  Which I said it probably does but it may not work for everyone in the same way.  It is not the miracle drug the commercial makes it out to be.  Phil could not play golf, took some shots and now his is winning tournaments.  I think that is great for him but the commercial should have a disclaimer that says "results may vary" or "results not typical".   Some folks hear I am on Enbrel and think I should have the same results as Mr. Mickelson but it doesn't work that way.  Plus the commercial doesn't mention what other drugs Mr. Mickelson may be taking in coordination with Enbrel.

Anyway, tonight is my shot night.

Tomorrow is Brenda's surgery so it is early to bed!

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Hope the injection went smoothly, Adrienne. I've seen that commercial many times, too, and it has always made me feel a bit uncomfortable. They don't lie about what the med can do, but the implication that it's an across-the-board miracle cure comes through loud and clear. And that's even as the narrator quickly reads through the long,scary list of potentially dangerous or deadly side effects. Actually, I feel that way about all of the RA commercials.

    Best wishes to Brenda. I hope her surgery goes well and that her recovery is quick.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!