Thursday, October 18, 2012

ANOTHER HOSPITAL VISIT

Don't they say when it rains it pours?  Just when I get Brenda home and stable, my friend (let's call her B) called to say she was really ill and needed to go to the hospital.  I rushed to her house and she was in a bad way.  I called 911 and an ambulance came to take her to the hospital.  After hours in the emergency room, they finally decided to admit her.  Initially it looked like a case of dehydration from a cold but as the day went on it began to look like something else maybe going on.  She was unable to hold even water down even after two bags of fluid and some medicine.  After the third bag of fluid she was still in a bad way and felt just like she did when we called 911.

I felt bad that I could not monitor Brenda all day but I knew she was only a phone call away and my friend B had no one who would sit with her while she was going through this horrible ordeal.  As we all know, when in the emergency room or hospital an advocate is the best thing to have.  Someone who knows their way around the ER or hospital system and is not scared to speak up to a doctor or nurse.  Especially when you are in a bad way.

I eventually had to leave once I knew she was going to be admitted.  They were going to run tests but many of them would take a while to get results.  I knew she would be going up to a room and going to sleep.  I will call in the morning and see what is going on.

I would like to have a day that didn't include a hospital this week!

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Hope things work out with your friend. And it was so nice of you to be her advocate. You are so right about that!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!