Monday, May 7, 2012

Two Days To Go

Today I went for my second pre-op doctors appointment. All went well until I gave blood. Now I have been giving blood almost every month for 20 years. I also give myself shots. So, I am not afraid of needles. They don't make me woozy or nervous. Today I was giving blood when I started to see stars and the room got hot and I started to get nauseous. I almost vomited but I didn't. It took me few minutes to gather myself. I figure it was the heat of the day, the stress of the impending surgery and the small vein they were using. My right arm vein was burned with potassium a number of years ago and now I only have one good arm.

I am a bit nervous but a few days ago my ankle began hurting again ALOT! That helps me feel I am doing the right thing.

I still have some vacation photos to post. I am just so tired...

Until tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, Adrienne, but I can wait. That you take gentle care of yourself--in all senses of the word--is far more important, particularly since you have that surgery imminent.

    I'm like you--I don't mind needles. That doesn't mean I LIKE them, but... anyway. What a strange reaction to having your blood drawn that was! Had you eaten? Were you well hydrated? Maybe you were just "all worned out," as my daughter used to say when she was small.

    Take care, friend. Rest. Breathe. You're doing the right thing. I'm sending calm, patience and quiet your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wren! It was a very hot day so maybe I was dehydrated. Thanks for your kind thoughts. Keep them up for tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. We'll be sending good thoughts your way come surgery day. It sounds like you're all prepared.

    I had a similar experience with needles one time. I don't feel as though I have a fear of them. Yes, I'm not fond of pain, but who is? I was getting a series of shots in my back for my spine issues and I was sitting up. Suddenly I was in the doctor's arms. He said, "I don't usually hug my patients." He said it was a vasovagal response or, "Fight or Flight" and I wasn't getting as much oxygen to my brain as I normally would. He also said it happens to all kinds of people. But bah, I wasn't scared dang it.

    After that one time, I sheepishly tell health-care providers about it if I'm in a position where I could slump over or fall down. Maybe the precaution has helped as I've never had another episode.

    So hugs from Greyson, Reese, Chris and me from the East Coast as you get ready for your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words! Keep them coming tomorrow.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!