Monday, July 4, 2016

DAY THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHT OF THE HAPPINESS PROJECT

Day 308.  Happy 4th of July!  Not doing much today.  Catching up on invoicing my clients.  Pure excitement!

I did start thinking about times gone by.  I was thinking about the times we went to my Great Uncle's farm.  He had a farm about 1 hour from where we lived.  He raised Angus Beef cattle.  I am not sure that is how you say it but he raised cattle for slaughter.  As a small child I wanted to know what the cows names were and he explained to me that when cows are being slaughtered you don't name them.  The bulls all had names because they don't go to slaughter. We were told not to go near the fields where the bulls were because they were dangerous but we were wild children and we would go to the fence and tease the bulls.  Luckily they were not aggressive.

Even as a child it was hard for me to learn that the meat we were eating was at one time the steer in the pen outside.  I think this was one of the things that helped me to become a vegetarian and now a vegan.  It is really hard to look your food in the eyes.  I wanted to go out in the field and pet the cows.  Cows are so sweet.  Calves are adorable.  In the barn were a bunch of cats called barn cats.  They kept the mouse population down.

My Great Uncle also had a small (small for a farm) vegetable garden and those vegetables were delicious.  He said it was because of the cow manure he mixed with the soil.  One year he gave us some to put in our garden.  It was smelly and messy work to turn it into the soil but the vegetables were the best crop we ever had.

I think watching Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest made me think about this today.  I love watching it.  Not sure why.  It is like a car accident.  You don't want to look but you can't turn away.  I have to watch every year to see who wins.  It is my 4th of July tradition.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!