Tuesday, March 21, 2023

NEW CONCIERGE DOCTOR

This has been a crazy day. But frankly, when has it not been a crazy day recently?  

I called another primary physician first thing this morning to find out information and they had a cancellation at 1 pm to come by and meet the doctor. This doctor is part of a new trend (well, it is an old trend but for the wealthy) for family practitioners. As I understand it investers/corporations have purchased doctors practices in an effort to make them profitable. In turn physicians have left practices and moved to concierge services. It is really hard to find a family/primary practitioner anymore. If you do, you may have to wait months to get an appointment. I had to wait two and a half months to see my last doctor only to find out she was moving to the East Coast. The doctor before that had a four months wait to get an appointment. 

Concierge doctors take on very few (a couple hundred instead of thousands) of patients and charge them a monthly fee. In return the doctor will see you that day if you are sick or injured. Will take phone calls, video chats and emails every day. Will take weekend phone calls and will come into the office on the weekend if there is an emergency. If there a need they will even make a house call. If you think it sounds like the doctors of the 1950s you are correct. Just minus the technology. 

The only thing that they don't do is labs, x-rays, that sort of stuff. That gets done at a hospital of lab and is covered by insurance. 

It is an extravagance I know but I am going to try it out. The doctor was awesome and came recommended. It has been hard not having what I call my "quarterback" or "coach" in charge of my care. I have all these doctors and no one to manage them but me. I need someone to oversee the big picture. When I get sick, I just don't have the energy or brainpower to do it. It is exhausting and I have been doing it for three years. I am ready to hand over the reigns. 

While I was waiting to go inside, I spoke to my friend in the Netherlands. It was too short of a phone call but I got this opportunity to meet the doctor. 

Guess what? It is raining again. Do I sound like a broken record? It was a horrible storm with 70 mile an hour winds. Dehumidifier and two fans going all day. I also got word there is another big storm slated for next week. WTH!?! Everytime it let up I rushed Lucky outside to pee or for a quick walk. 

Since I have had no wifi for three hours, I am going to bed. What's my trick? I keep all my electronics charged up and I keep movies downloaded on my iPad just for this reason. I watched Addams Family Values 2 (I think that is the title).  It was entertaining. 

I haven't had to use my generator yet but it is at 100% and ready to go. 

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. i have a buddy who has a medical concierge doctor, he loves it, but he is always being sent into the medical system for other than PCP issues. Lord I barely see a PCP anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!