Thursday, January 3, 2019

SAD DAY

Today is a sad day. 

I went to the post office today and picked up a box my mother sent me with things from a friend.  I have a family friend who is 95 years old and she is quite ill.  She has been in an assisted living for a few months and today she was moved into hospice care.  Now, at 95 it is not unexpected but it doesn't make it any less painful. 

The box contained some items my mother gathered from her home.  Some of the things were expected and one thing was not.  My friend and I were both Raggedy Ann and Andy fans. She more than I but it was something we had in common.  As a child, she would read to me from a very old and worn out Raggedy Ann and Andy book.  Years ago she sent me that book and it is something I cherish. 

The box contained a few Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls and figurines.  A plaque with Andy and one with Ann.  There was also a dragonfly pin.  My friend always wore a pin.  Every day she had a pin on her suit or shirt.  I remember her wearing this dragonfly pin. 

The most cherished item in the box was a picture frame.  Many years ago I visited her and she and I had our photo taken together.  It was at her business.  She had a printing business long before it was acceptable for women to own printing businesses in the male dominated field.  When I used to go to her office, she would let me hang around and then she would put me to work far away from the dangerous printing presses.  I was only a young teenager and she was careful that I wasn't hanging around with grown men at her business. 

The photo showed she and I behind her counter in her business.  The photo was put in a frame.  I decoupaged the frame with sayings, words and pictures.  There was Raggedy Ann and Andy, hearts, the words friends, next door, and laughter.  I couldn't believe she kept it all these years.  

It is now sitting on my bookshelf.  It made me cry when I opened the box.  It is making me cry now.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!