Tuesday, January 29, 2019

GOOD AND NOT SO GREAT NEWS

I went to see the Orthopedic Sugeon today.  He read the MRI report and it was clear.

I do have a fracture of my hamate bone.  It is on the little finger side which is opposite of where they thought I had a fracture.  It is a little fracture.  This explains why it is hard to open jars or turn doorknobs.  Only about 2% of all wrist fractures are hamate fractures.  It is common in athletes that swing items such as golfers and baseball players.  Mine is in the hamate proper and not the hamate hook.  Since it is small I do not have to wear a cast or brace.  It will take 4-6 weeks to heal.  No lifting anything  heavy, don't swing a golf club or baseball bat, etc.  I should be fine.


I also have a longitudinal split tear in extensor carpi ulnaris tendon at ulnar styloid. 

Now the not so good news.  I have been having pain in my arm and shoulder.  When I saw the doctor the first time I had the cast on from the ER.  The doctor said the pain in my arm was from lugging around that cast.  Well, it isn't.  He thinks it is a torn rotator cuff.   He is taking a conservative approach and sending me to physical therapy for 30 days.  If the physical therapy works, then no surgery.  So, off to PT I go twice a week.

So during the fall I fractured my wrist and tore a tendon in my wrist.   With the torn rotator cuff I say I hit the trifecta. 

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!