Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A - Z TRAVEL BLOGGING CHALLENGE - V

Today is the letter V for my Travel Blogging Challenge.  I would like to visit Vietnam.  I have always had a fascination with Vietnam since I was a child.  I grew up during the Vietnam war.  Like many of you my family would watch the evening news with Walter Cronkite and see the stories about the Vietnam War and the protests.  That is how I grew up.  Yes, with my TV Dinners! 

Then my community sponsored Vietnamese refugees.  My family became very close with many of the refugees.  I was a pre-teen so I spent a lot of time with them teaching them English, culture, and finding out about Vietnam.  I was enthralled with their stories.  How they escaped.  That they were in the military.  Where they lived.  It was all so interesting.  People who were different from me and lived in a far away country.  I lived in a community where we had a family from India next door, a family who escaped the Shah in Iran, a family who escaped Czechoslovakia.  It was a multi-ethnic community. I loved it.  I was such a curious kid.

I still have the Vietnamese currency given to me by the Vietnamese refugees.  It is worthless but a great keepsake.  Their money is so pretty.  Colorful with great designs.  Not boring green and with President heads like ours.

I also love Vietnamese food.  I hear the country is beautiful.  I want to see the War Remnants Museum, Paradise Cave, Hanoi , Ho Chi Minh City, Cu Chi tunnels, and Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park.  So much to see in Vietnam. 

I think this country should go on my list of countries to visit.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!