Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Open a Book - #HAWMC Day 18



Open a Book. Choose a book and open it to a random page and point to a phrase. Use that phrase to get you writing today. Free write for 15-20 without stopping.

From the book I Touch the Earth, the Earth Touches Me, by Hugh Prather
One reason that I sometimes have difficulty "deciding" is that I assume that I should have no reservations. The word itself implies a completion. Often I can bypass "deciding" simply by noticing in which direction I am leaning.  Asking myself, "What is my preference?" cuts through this perfectionism.
I have a hard time making decisions sometimes.  Not on the little things like what type of sandwich but on big things.  This drives my partner crazy.  She sees something and wants it.  She doesn't need to see any other options or another color.  She actually gets angry if you try to show her other options.  She sees it and that is it.  She is done.

I am the exact opposite.  I see something and I want to look around and see if there is something else I like better before I spend my money. Before I bought my car 10 years ago, I went back to see it three times.  Drove it twice.  I already knew I wanted it but it was a big purchase.  My last car was a less expensive car rather than a car I was passionate about.  It was bought new when I was fresh out of college and my father co-signed the loan for me.  So this car was my going to be my first car that I wanted.  My convertible!  Of course I bought it and have loved every minute of driving it.

I also had bouts of indecision when I bought my Ipad.  I actually went to buy a Kindle Fire but then I had a sales person talk me through all the tablets and I was sold.  I went to see the Ipad three times before I bought it.  Of course I love it.


I guess I am a perfectionist when it comes to making decisions.  I just want to make the right decision.  I am scared to make a wrong decision.  I mean, who wants to make a bad decision?  Who wants to buy the wrong car and get stuck with it for 5 years?  I am just a cautious decision maker.  Not a "jump and the net will appear" type of decision maker.  That is not me!

Until tomorrow...


If you or someone you know is interested in participating in the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge (#HAWMC) during the month of April, sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!