Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Write About My Health Because… #HAWMC - Day 4



Day 4 - I write about my health because Reflect on why you write about your health for 15-20 minutes without stopping. 

I write about my health because after being a member of the RA Club, I realized that many of the people in my life (friends, family, yes, even doctors) don't know much about rheumatoid arthritis.  That is why this started.  I wanted to educate, be an advocate and share stories about having arthritis.

Why do I write on my blog now?  I still like to do all of those things but the focus has changed a bit.  In just the short time that I have been writing, I have had two other diagnoses.  I now have Sjogren's and Crohn's disease.  So I still write about RA but I write about my other autoimmune diseases also.

When I started writing this blog I thought I would spend more time writing about advocacy but that has not happened.  Not because I don't want to but because there aren't enough advocacy opportunities to do to keep up a blog that I write on almost every day.  I put in as many advocacy opportunities as I can.

This blog has morphed into a place where I write about what it is like to live a life with multiple autoimmune complications.  From my feet up to my scalp. (oh, I haven't written about my scalp yet have I?  Well, that is coming to a blog soon!)  As some of my friends have said, they had no idea that so many things can go wrong.  I like to think that I had no idea that so many things can stay right!  (Life is good! I just got my Enbrel Support Card.  If you have no idea what that is, it helps to pay for the co-payment for Enbrel.  It is a life line!)   

So, I write about my health because people want and need to know about autoimmune diseases.  Education, with a healthy dose of humor, is so important.  Of course for no other reason, it makes me feel better knowing there are others out there (does that sound selfish?) and I get support from the comments they leave. 

Until tomorrow...

If you or someone you know is interested in participating in the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge (#HAWMC) during the month of April, sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!