Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Eye, My Eye

World AIDS Day, December 1
Getting to Zero


I went to see an eye doctor today to see what was wrong with my eye.  I thought I had a blocked tear duct.  I was wrong.  I have a blocked oil duct.  I didn't even know eyes had oil ducts. I have inflamation under my eye where the oil is gathering and not releasing.  Doesn't this sound fabulous?  See below to explain:

Posterior blepharitis or rosacea-associated blepharitis
The most common type of blepharitis is often found in people with a Rosacea skin type.  The oil glands in the lid of rosacea sufferers secrete a modified oil which leads to inflammation at the meibomian gland openings which are found at the edge of the lid.
 
I went to the eye doctor after a few days of having a gritty and swollen eye. I had put hot compresses on my eye but it only made it hurt more.  The doctor tried to open the blockage.  You can only guess how one does that.  First he used this soft Q-tip type thing.  That didn't work.  They he took the Q off the Tip and used just the Tip.  Boy did that hurt.  Think: toothpick scraping against the inside of your eye lid.  Yup!  That is just what it felt like.  After doing that for about 5 minutes, he gave up. He was unable to open the blockage but he was able to make me tear!   Yeah! 
 
I left his office with my eye feeling worse than when I got there.  It did feel better during the rest of the day but now it hurts again.  Time for a hot compress. 
 
My foot still hurts and I can't see a doctor until next Tuesday.  I am trying to keep off my foot as much as possible.  Yeah, right, during the holiday season.  Just means more online shopping and movie watching!

4 comments:

  1. Geez, Adrienne! That sounds painful! I hope you left the doctor's office with a solution for the blepheritis, not just "put a hot washcloth on it."

    The bright side? At least you CAN Christmas shop online. There's something to be said for sitting comfortably at home, snug and warm and with a cuppa at hand as you pick out and purchase presents that will show up at your home withint a week or so, I think. Some of them even with the option of giftwrapping! Beats the heck out of traffic gridlock and fighting nutty crowds in packed stores as you search for just "the right gift" -- all while limping on a painfully flared foot...

    Sending you smiles and a heartfelt wish that you'll be feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one eyed bandit shopper! Hope you eye heals and fast. Ouch! And I so agree, I sure hope you got more of a solution then a hot compress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wren. Luckily I started early and am doing some online shopping. Since my people are all 3,000 miles a away, I have shop early or they are getting last minute Walgreens gifts just to get them shipped in time! I have also jumped on the Made in America band wagon as a small business owner. At least half of my presents are made in America by small businesses. Keep people working!

    Unfortunately I have to try the hot compresses first for a few days. I don't want to go to the next treatment. It doesn't sound like fun. At this point I am more worried about my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deb! My shopping today went as well as can be expected. I stopped off to get something and took the wrong exit to get to my car. Duh...

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!