Monday, August 12, 2019

WHEN WE WERE KIDS

Remember when we were kids and about once every two weeks or so your parent(s) would come home and announce (probably on a Friday night) that the family was going out to dinner.  Going out to dinner was a special occasion.  We used to go to the Italian restaurant up the street on the corner.  I like the lasagna or ravioli, I think.  Anyway, it was a special thing to go out to dinner.   We would put on nice clothes.

It just doesn't seem to be like that anymore.  Going to a restaurant is not special anymore. 

I was speaking to my sister and we were talking about how kids currently are brought up to expect that they are going to go to a restaurant.  Not that it is a special experience. 

I took someone out recently who was a kid and they ordered a $20 entree for lunch.  It was giant.  The kid could not even finish it.  At that point I realized that I needed to watch where I take kids to eat.  Especially when the kid ordered dessert for $10.

I need to be more thoughtful as to where I take kids to eat and where I take kids to do activities.  There is a certain level of every time we go it has to be exciting and wonderful.  But I have learned that is unsustainable.  $30 lunches are unsustainable.  Going to amusement parks every time is unsustainable.  Just being together and having us time and making our own fun is sustainable.  Sandwiches in the park is sustainable. 

I can see now why our parents took us to the Italian restaurant once every 2-3 weeks.  First that was probably all the could afford but also that keeps it a special experience. 

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!