Sunday, March 10, 2019

HACKED

What an afternoon!  I was just finished food shopping and cleaning my house because my brother is coming to visit today.  I was about to start working on my taxes when I looked at my phone and I had an email to me from me.  What??!!

It was an email from a Russian hacker demanding $1000 in bitcoin. He was very polite and even funny.  He said my email had been hacked and he would lock me out of my business email if I didn't pay the money in 48 hours.  He also said he would contact all the people in my contacts and send them a video.

I was so panicked that I am not really sure what the email said in full.  I immediately called my provider to check it out.  That was the longest 6 minutes of my life.  It turns out that they have been having this happen to a lot of folks that use their service.  I was told to change my password and make it super long and complicated.  My emails were not compromised and no one got in my emails.  Although he didn't explain how someone sent an email from my email.

At the same time my phone banners turned red.  They were clear and now they were red; bright red.  The whole thing just unhinged me.  Did this guy get in my phone too?  It turns out that probably when I was shopping I must have hit the Battery Saver button and that turns the banners on the phone bright red.  So they two things were a coincidence that occurred at about the same time.  

It was very stressful.  I had to sit and relax before I could start my taxes.  If I could have taken a bath, I would have but my taxes were calling me.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!