Thursday, September 6, 2012

JUST A LITTLE SCAREY

Last week I went to physical therapy and the therapist touched the back of my calf and I jumped.  My calf has been tender since I had the cast on my leg.  It felt like an electric shock.  It also feels hard in a certain spot.  I just assumed for the first couple of weeks after my cast that it was a bruise sort of thing.  It has been more than six weeks now since I got the cast off and it still hurts.

I went to the doctor today and she seemed concerned.  She touched my calf and I practically jumped off the table.  She immediately ordered an MRI.  I asked her what she is looking for and she said she was looking for what was wrong.  Ha ha!  I asked her what could be wrong and she said it seemed like the tendon and muscle may have separated and that area has a web of nerves.  Not sure what the treatment would be for that.  Probably some sort of surgery. 

I asked her what would be the worst case scenario.  What was the worst thing she was looking for?  She said a tumor.  Okay.  What would happen if I had a tumor?  Amputation.  Didn't really expect that.  I go through ankle surgery, six weeks crutches, physical therapy and then find out I have a tumor in my calf and have amputation.  That would be ironic, don't you think? 

Anyway, I go for the MRI next week and then hear the results.  Whatever it is, we deal with it at that point.  This has certainly been our year! 

Tomorrow I go to see my primary doctor and see what he has to say about all this. 

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Adrienne, how utterly frightening. Surely there are many other ways of dealing with a tumor in your calf besides amputation! That seems like a "worst case scenario," you know? Maybe your doctor was joking (though what a nasty sort of joke that one is!) My thoughts are with you, m'friend. Do let us know what's up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the sort that always wants to know the best and worst case. I need to know what I am dealing with so I can prepare myself. I will definitely keep you posted.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!