Sunday, September 30, 2012

ENTITLED

What is it about some people that they feel they are so entitled? You know what I mean, those people who don't care what you are doing but only care what their needs are.

I got a work phone call while doing something personal and the person insisted I do something for her. When I tried to help her she became enraged (okay, maybe not enraged but tense and upset) and started saying that I was being difficult. When I tried to explain that it was difficult to help her because I was doing something personal and not at my office, she thought I was saying that I would not help her BECAUSE I was out of the office. She became even MORE difficult. In the end she was helped and I was thanked but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Why do some people feel so entitled? Why did she feel so entitled to call me while I was doing something personal and insist that I drop everything for her? With no "please can I bother you" and no "so sorry for inconveniencing you". I don't want to call her the b-word.

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I've seen that attitude from people off and on for many years, but it does seem to have gotten much worse more recently. I think it may be because we, as a society, have become used to getting what we want immediately, with very little to no wait-time. To overuse the term, we've become accustomed to "instant gratification." Maybe it's because of the Internet, and the ability to simply "click" for information, to pay bills, to buy things immediately...
    People like your client expect that instant gratification without thinking about what it takes for you to satisfy her demands. It's childish and rude, but to me it seems more and more that our society and culture is becoming that way.
    Bravo to you, Adrienne, for not losing your temper, even though you'd be justified. Now, you just need to figure out a good way to shake off the stress she caused you. A walk with your dogs or your significant other? A little gardening? Setting rat-traps and imagining your pushy, rude client as an unsuspecting rat?
    Hang in there. Perhaps you'll get some word on your MRI/scan soon. That's gotta be stressing you, too.
    Sending calm, patience and peace your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. My MRI is in 3days!

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!