Sunday, July 14, 2013

ZIMMERMAN DECISION

I have on and off been watching the Zimmerman trial.  I watched most of the closing arguments since I was working from home that day.  I watched when the jury came back with a NOT GUILTY and I actually screamed at the TV.  NO! 

How can a person who is not a cop, carry a gun and shoot an unarmed teenager who is on the way back from a convenience store and not be found guilty of something?  Despite all the other stuff.  It is incomprehensible to me. 

If my leg was better I would out on the streets marching.  The jury got it wrong.  Juries get it wrong sometimes.  OJ is another example.  Juries don't always get to hear everything and therefore they can't make an informed decision like those of us trying him in the media.

I will just have to do my protesting from here. 

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way, Adrienne. It was a travesty of justice. Zimmerman should have, at least, gotten a manslaughter conviction. But from what I understand from reading more about it today, the jury was constrained in its ruling by Florida's Stand Your Ground law, along with the fact that there was little real evidence on Martin's behalf. They only had Zimmerman's words regarding who started the physical altercation.

    It's a horrible situation. Florida's SYG law (along with the same law in 20 other states) should be repealed. It makes it way too easy for a paranoid with a gun, like Zimmerman, to kill anyone who they decide is threatening them, whether reality bears that out or not. The ruling also sets a terrifying precedent. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!