Sunday, July 21, 2013

KOHLS AND COOKING

Today I returned my capris to Kohls. I bought the capris before we went on vacation and took them out to wear them on the cruise and the rivet/button came right off. I never got to wear them on the trip. Today I took them back and got a $21 credit. Then I went to buy another pair and the cost is now $24. Last time I tried to do a swap at Kohls the person told me I could not do that, I had to return and buy again.  

I was standing in line to purchase them and a guy, who seemed to be the manager, asked me if everything was okay and I told him the story. He said he could take care of that. I said I can get them for $21? He said I can do better than that. I was charged only $10!  That was very nice of him.  Makes up for not being able wear them and schlepping them 10,000 miles. 

Then I started cooking. Brenda and I had a disagreement about cooking in 2013 and cooking in the 1960s and 1970s.  I feel like the cooking our mothers did was different than the cooking I do today. And not because I am a vegan/vegetarian. Because it seems like the cooking back then seemed simpler. The meals were simpler. Besides the fact that TV dinner had come into vogue, most of the meals I remember we ate meatloaf, potatoes and some sort of veg. Broiled fish and rice and veg. Many times the vegetables were frozen except in the summer when we went to the roadside markets and got string beans or when our garden veggies were ready to eat. 

My mom was part of a group that cooked fancy dinners so sometimes she would try them out on us like beef Wellington.  But still they were the meat, potato and veg combination. 

The reason Brenda and I got into this discussion was that I said I could not see our parents cooking like I have been cooking. Tonight I made Fettuccini with Walnuts and Zucchini Ribbons and added Basil Walnut Pesto.


Tasty!  I just can't imagine our mothers making a dinner like this.  I don't remember seeing fresh herbs or toasted walnuts. I just cook differently. It does take longer.  But I will have enough for a few days. 

I also made Oven-roasted Cauliflower. It tastes so good.  Not as good as the roasted broccoli. 

Then I had some overly ripe strawberries so I thought ZOKU! I took the strawberries and some sugar water and threw it in the blender and popped that in the Zoku. Now I have these tasty strawberry pops. Perfect for a sunny day.

What a day!  Now I have to work this evening to catch up! 

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. That fettuccini sounds scrumptious, Adrienne. And I'm going to have to try roasting broccoli and cauliflower. I like both vegetables in a "meh" sort of way; maybe trying them this way will change my "meh" to "wow!"

    And what a great deal at Kohl's! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!