Friday, March 2, 2012

Unwanted Gifts

What do you do when someone gives you an unwanted gift? Every once in awhile I get a gift from a family member or friend that I don't need or want. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. It's just I already have too much stuff and if you saw my garage, you would understand. Sometimes I think my garage looks like we are hoarders. We moved, then packed up the house for a three year construction remodel, then unpacked. There are still boxes that have not been unpacked.

I have this one person who used to give me chachskis (you know things that need dusting) for every holiday. I finally had to ask them to stop. I was nice at first, When they continued, I told them I would send them back or donate anymore items they gave me. The "dustables" have stopped. I still get weird things from folks sometimes. I wonder of people are re-gifting or cleaning out their gift drawer.

Do you have a gift drawer? I do. It is a small drawer of items I found on sale or things that folks have given me that are just not right for me.

Some of the interesting gifts I have been given: ornamental bird house (1' tall), set of gambling dice, and clothing with various decorations on it. I don't need anymore things. No more stuff.

So what do you do when you are given unwanted or not needed stuff? I say thank you. Then I put in the donation pile or regift drawer and smile that it will get a happy home.


1 comment:

  1. I either return it...if I know where they got it from and even without a receipt this can be done almost always, donate it, sell it on ebay, or sell it in a yard sale. I tend not to regift as I would be worried I would give it to the same person that gave it to me.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!