Thursday, March 22, 2012

Night in the Pet Emergency Room

Remember how your mom used to say "It's all fun and games until some body gets hurt." Well, I say it to my dogs when they run around and play. Last evening someone got hurt. They were running around and the little dog came inside with what looked like something on her foot. A few minutes later we noticed her foot was bleeding. Twenty minutes later it was still bleeding so I took her to the pet emergency room. She would not let me touch it and bared her teeth if I even went near it. I decided to let a professional take over (hey they get paid to deal with biting dogs!)

Turns out her baby toe nail was ripped off down to the quick! Very painful. They had to clean it off and give her some pain meds. She was so funny on the pain meds! She was standing up and weaving. She looked like a really drunk dog. Sad but so funny. Then she began dozing off in that, I am drunk but don't want to fall asleep, kind of way. So cute.

Two hours later they brought her out and her foot was still bleeding. She went back and they put a florescent pink bandage on her little foot. Then she got The Cone of Shame. Poor little girl.

The photo below is the next morning when she had a baggy on her foot to keep the bandage dry. She is holding up well despite it all. She has two weeks of antibiotics and pain meds to look forward to, as well as the cone. She should be all better just in time for my surgery. She is not too happy.

Until tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Poor thing! I hope she feels better soon. Sometimes I think the cone of shame is the worst part for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she hates it. She gets this funny, bouncy little walk to be able to hold her head up! She is just a grump today! We have to take her bandage off!

      Delete
  2. Aw, poor lil' darlin'! A ripped out toenail HAS to hurt like the dickens. She's lucky she has such a good friend to take care of her. Love the pink bandage, but I doubt it cheered her up much...

    P.S. That's the first see-through Cone of Shame I've ever seen! Sorta makes me wonder why they've always been opaque, so that not only does the beastie have her head isolated, she can't see where she's going or what's approaching her from the sides, either. This is a much better idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pink bandage was for us since they say dogs are color blind! The worst part about the cone is that she can't hear like she is used to. Seems to really bother her more than it does Happi.

      Delete
  3. Hope she feels better soon! I just hate it when our furrbabies get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We will see today when the bandage comes off.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!