Monday, March 5, 2012

Rebecca, Really?

Book club was tonight. We all brought books to vote on. I brought three books and another member brought the same book. I thought for sure our book, The Kitchen House, was a shoe in. I was really looking forward to reading it.

Somehow the tide changed and all of a sudden the group wanted to read Rebecca. Ugh! Not that I dislike the book; honestly I have never read it. I am just not a big fan of the classics. I think one classic a year is enough. Sometimes the classics are slow moving and wordy. I know I am supposed to love the classics and I try, I really do. It is just too hard. I took a whole semester of Shakespeare in college and that was torture. I want to read for relaxation and fun. I don't want reading to be work.

I think I am going to skip Rebecca and read The Kitchen House. I am going to be laid up after surgery so I get a pass.

My feeling is Life is too short to read boring books! What would you do?

I scheduled my surgery for April 5th in the morning. I am glad to get it on the calendar. Now it is real.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. It seems on television and movies the characters are always able to pull an appropriate quote from a classic. They just happen to love that author and grew up reading the books with a parent before going to bed at night... when they were five-years-old.

    Not only do we have unrealistic body images foisted on us via television these days, we're pressured to be well-read, know morse code by heart and have an eidetic memory.

    So call me uncouth, uneducated or even illiterate--I like reading for fun and to relax. I'm so with you.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!