Thursday, March 15, 2012

Poor Bones

Well, it is true.  I have poor bones.  I had the Bone Density Test and got the report today.  Well, I got the report six times.  Talk about being efficient!  Or not. The person faxed it to me six times. 

Drum roll please... the results are that I have osteopenia.  That is like pre-osteoporosis.  It is already showing in my lumbar and my ankles.  My neck seems to be fine so far.  It is borderline.
Digitalart

Borderline.
 Feels like I'm goin' to lose my mind.
You just keep pushing my love over the Borderline.

(Just a little music interlude.  I just can't say the word borderline without singing that song. Ah, the 80's...)

Anyway, I guess something is going to have to be done.  I am at a "high risk for stress fractures".  A little late for that diagnosis, don't you think?  How many do I have to have before someone comes to that conclusion!  Okay, seriously, seems like some calcium is going to have be taken or something.  Since I am lactose intolerant, I can't eat cheese or ice cream or anything fun like pizza.

I see my doctor to discuss the options next week.  Let's hope it doesn't include horse-sized pills.  I hate the horse-sized pills!  They should only be given to horses!  With their strong bones.

I will check in tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Two years ago I was diagnosed with osteopenia. I was already taking calcium tablets prescribed by my rheumatologist, so I was told to continue those and they'd do another DexaScan in a couple of years.

    Last fall I had the scan. We'd hoped that the situation wouldn't progress, but it obviously did--I was informed that I now have osteoporosis. My rheumatologist said it was likely because of the RA--but also because I'm post-menopausal, and osteoporosis is fairly common at this stage of life in women. I'm also fairly small-boned... sigh.

    So. Now I take a weekly dose of Fosamax along with the calcium and all my other RA meds. The osteoporosis is one of the reasons that I've started working out at the gym. Weight-bearing exercise apparently helps to build bone, and maybe by doing so I can avoid fractures.

    If it helps at all, the calcium tabs I take are about the size of chewable vitamin C tablets. Not small, but not TOO big. Of course they're not chewable, but they're very smooth and go down easily with a few big gulps of water.

    I'm sorry to learn that you've got this ominous new diagnosis to cope with along with RA. The silver lining might be that with calcium therapy it might not progress. The OTHER silver lining is that even with osteoporosis, we can strengthen our weakening bones.

    Wishing you well and thinking of you, Adrienne. Enjoy your weekend! Have a couple of bananas! They're packed with calcium AND potassium... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you wren. I am also checking into leafy greens.

      Delete
  2. We're thinking about you over here on the east coast. Hopefully you'll be able to turn it around with added calcium. I didn't know exercise could help bone density from Wren's comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dr wants me to try turning it around with my diet. Leafy greens, beans, etc. Lots of kale and spinach. Yum!

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!