Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Here's the Plan

Today I went to see my Rheum Doctor.  She gave me a plan for the impending surgery.  Here is the plan:
  1. Stop Enbrel immediately.  Until a couple of weeks after the surgery.  I have to wait to make sure there is no infection before I begin giving shots again.
  2. Large doses of steroids before and during surgery to keep from having adrenal insufficiency.
  3. Take double doses of steroids for a few days after surgery and then taper down slowly.
  4. Be prepared that recovery can take double or triple the amount of time the surgeon says it will.
 My rheum doctor was supportive and motherly.

Then we spoke about my bone density test.  After the surgery, I will try and taper down on the steroids.  I have tried before but always have some crazy flare or something worse.  Once I get over this surgery, I will give it another try.

One week until surgery.  I am getting everything organized.  Getting my hair cut, shopping for food, getting a waterproof thing to cover my cast, putting movies on my Ipad, bought a book, and filling my Rx.

On a side note: just found out my niece and nephew both have chicken pox!! Poor dears.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have it all sewn up, Adrienne. I had surgery on my wrist several years ago, and one of the things I did was stock up on quick frozen meals from Trader Joe's--veggie and shrimp stir fry, etc--because I knew cooking would be a bear and my family, bless 'em, are simply pathetic faced with a stove. I picked up a bunch of nuke-able meals, too. We survived my four weeks of one-handedness fairly well.

    Glad you're so well prepared, physically and mentally. You'll do just fine. Have a restful, fun and pain-free weekend. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say!