Thursday, February 23, 2012

Doctor Update

Went to the podiatrist today and had a check up on the foot.  Yeah the foot.  I have been in the hard soled shoes for two weeks now and still feel a twinge of a fire cracker when I step down sometimes.  Especially when I wake up.

At the appointment she showed me the x-rays and showed me the two stress fractures.  How cool is that?  I could actually see the fractures on the x-ray.  The one fracture is in my big toe under the toe nail.  The other fracture is between my toes two and three. It is a stress fracture that people commonly get when they do an exercise where you roll up on your toes repeatedly.   The doctor says the fractures are in such weird places.  Since I don't roll up and down on my toes, she says I must have dropped something on my foot or something.  I don't remember doing that.  Or I smashed my foot into something.  Okay, I may have done that.  She says it could have been in the last 6 months.  Well, who can remember if they smashed their foot against the coffee table in the last 6 months?  I don't know about you but I bang my foot against things all the time.  Not bad enough to go to the hospital but I jump up and down and wince and use swear words. We left that discussion until I go to the bone density scan and see what it says then we will reconvene.

I got slippers for Christmas that are slip-ons. They looked so comfortable at Costco but alas they are not.  Because of the issues with my feet, I can't clench my toes.  It is too painful.  So wearing slip-on slippers with a furry inside is not very comfortable due to the clenching of my toes to go up and down stairs or they slip off.  Now I need to buy another type of slippers.  I have been told of some very expensive German slippers...

Then I asked her about the pain I am having in my other foot; in my big toe to be exact. She poked and prodded and decided that it is a nerve that is being pinched.  FYI: there are nerves in your big toe.  Back to the slippers, wearing the slippers has made it worse because they were not the right slippers for me.  So I need to get a better pair of slippers.  I can no longer go barefoot or walk around just in socks anymore.

Since I have been wearing the Danskos, I have had more ankle pain from my ankle injury last April (the story can be read if you didn't read it before).  The ankle injury was diagnosed as a torn ligament.  The doctor really dismissed me and had me in the boot for about 3 months (maybe 4 months? I don't remember).  I asked many times to have a MRI but he told me the insurance company would never agree to one.  Today the new doctor looked at my ankle for 5 minutes and showed me how my hurt ankle is pliable and my other ankle is stiff.  She said that it looks like my ligament is torn.  She started to tell me things that can be done to fix it.  Something about making a flap with the ligament and 6 weeks in a cast!  Yuck!  She said let's get an MRI.  What?!  Let's get an MRI?  Imagine a doctor telling me to get an MRI. I have been begging to have an MRI forever.  Finally someone who understands and listens to me!  I love her!  The MRI is scheduled for next week (I could have had it today but I was too busy) and I am happy to finally get a definitive answer. 

The plan is to get new slippers that will help my feet and not hurt them, keep the Danskos on my feet outside the house, get the MRI and find out about my ankle and then follow up with the doctor.  I love a good plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you have to say!